This is the South Texas Chapter newest committee. The committee was formed in the Summer 2019.
Dear Resident Members:
In April, I attended the ACS Leadership and Advocacy Summit in Washington, D.C., the topic of increasing participation in the North and South Texas Chapters was extensively discussed at our state breakout session. One area we felt that could help with increased participation was adding a new committee that focused on encouraging residents and medical students from the South Texas Chapter to get involved.
My name is Mallory Wampler and I am a resident at UT Health San Antonio. I will serve as the Chair for this new committee – South Texas Chapter Resident Committee. I am excited to get started and give a voice to all residents in our chapter. We are asking for a representative from each training program in South Texas to be a part of this new committee.
Here are a few ideas for us to explore:
- Resident leadership workshops
- Fellowship or First Job Mock Interviews
- Negotiation techniques for contracts
- Mentor/Mentee Mixers or Meet-ups
- Participate in the Texas Surgeons Advocacy Day
- Advocacy topics for residents at state and national levels
- Sending a resident from South Texas ACS to the Leadership and Advocacy Summit (with a stipend)
- Resident/Medical Student wellness
- Resident Twitter Account
Together we will create our goals and agenda. Our hope is to have a program ready to present at the 2020 South Texas Chapter Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas. Please share this application to interested residents in your program, click here.
Mallory Wampler, MD
South Texas Chapter ACS
South Texas Resident Committee Chair